The digital space is exponentially growing day by day. It has given rise to new opportunities for businesses where they can target more customers and enhance their reach. However, to execute this, they need strong digital marketing skills. In this blog, you will discover a complete guide to digital marketing. This blog will help you understand the techniques of digital marketing. You will get a preview between the latest digital marketing techniques and conventional ways of marketing.
What is Digital Marketing?
Marketing means creating a place in the market and making people aware of your brand or business. It is a conventional way of attracting customers for your business. If the same is done through a digital medium, then it is digital marketing.
Digital marketing is marketing a business, product, or service online. It is also known as online marketing. It is used to promote brands and connect them with new customers online. Conventional marketing was used to be done by print or tv media.
However, digital marketing is a blend of both. It is done through written content, blogs, videos, etc. Everything falls into digital marketing, like blogs, Instagram posts, web advertising, etc. Any digital communication involved in marketing can be termed digital marketing.
Difference between Digital Marketing and Traditional Marketing
Digital marketing can be considered as the evolution of traditional marketing. However, there are differences between both. Understanding the difference is one of the crucial factors for beginners. It will help you understand the conceptual practices used separately for both marketing approaches.
- In traditional marketing, businesses and brands are promoted through TV, banners, newspaper, pamphlets, etc. On the other hand, digital marketing is done through social media, PPC, Google Ads, etc. So primarily, electronic mediums are included in it.
- Traditional marketing is much costlier, while digital marketing is resource-optimized.
- Conventional marketing is less effective, while digital marketing offers a faster and more targeted approach. It provides efficient and quick results.
- The impact measurement of conventional marketing is not easy. So you can never know how much it is working or not. On the other hand, digital marketing can be measured in several ways, like KPIs, PPC, website traffic, etc.
- Once you have posted an advertisement on a traditional marketing platform, it isn’t easy to alter it as per your needs. Moreover, you will never know its performance and influence on the audience. However, digital marketing allows you to modify your posts/content even after posting them to a certain extent. You can edit, delete or repost anything that you want. Moreover, it’s easy to measure the audience’s performance and influence through various tools like impressions, per clicks, etc.
- With conventional marketing, the reach of your campaigns becomes restricted. You can only go local with conventional marketing. This way, the businesses lose the opportunity to allure vast customer bases. However, with digital marketing, you can target remote audiences also. Most parts of the world has internet access nowadays. That’s why as far as the internet goes, your advertising can go with it too.
- With the conventional form of marketing, the customization scope is minimal. You can only work through the pre-determined standards and tools in most cases. For example, you can only launch 30 seconds to a 1-minute video advertisement on TV. This limit may not be exceeded. However, with digital marketing, you can make videos as long as you want and post them to your audiences on different platforms like Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, etc.
- Traditional marketing follows a rigid communication structure between the customer base and the brands. This reduces customer interaction and satisfaction. On the other hand, digital marketing involves communication from both sides. People can react through comments or stories on the posts. The interaction flow between the brands and customers has also simplified, improving customer satisfaction.
Various digital marketing channels
There are several ways or channels a brand can start its digital marketing. Understanding these channels is one of the important aspects in beginner’s guides to digital marketing.
1. Social media marketing
Social media platforms like Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, etc. are used for marketing brands. Therefore, it is one of the most crucial parts of digital marketing.
2. Search Engine Marketing
Search engine marketing involves the platforms of various search engines where people look for things they need. For instance, Google, Yahoo, etc.
3. Search Engine Optimization
SEO is a content marketing technique where we try to increase the ranking of our website or SERP ranking.
4. Email Marketing
Email marketing is the starting point for beginner digital marketing. The broadcast emails are sent to a large number of target customers.
5. Content Marketing
Content marketing includes tools like blogs, articles, etc.
6. Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate marketing involves forming a network and increasing it to enhance brand awareness.
7. Video Marketing
Video marketing is done through posting videos on different platforms like vlogging.
Where to start with digital marketing?
Here is a complete guide to starting with digital marketing.
a) Start with your website
The first step in for a beginner is to make your website. It can be for your business, agency, or personal website representing you.
b) Identify your interest and focus on one digital marketing channel
There is a vast crowd of different digital marketing channels. But you need to figure out which one you want for yourself.
c) Learn more about your chosen digital marketing channel
When choosing one channel, go deeper into its concepts and techniques. For instance, if you have chosen social media, read about the Instagram algorithm, Twitter trends, etc. You can also go for different certification courses.
d) Execute your learnings on your website
The best way to learn is through practice. So implement whatever you are learning on your website. Treat it as a project and make strategic moves to accomplish it per your learnings.
e) Get your hands on free digital marketing tools
As a beginner in digital marketing, you don’t need to start with advanced paid tools. Several free tools can help you implement standardized digital marketing practices.
f) Proceed with applying for a job in digital marketing
The last step of your learning will be to apply for a job. You can also go for an internship initially to get industry exposure.
- How can a beginner start digital marketing?
A beginner can start digital marketing by applying for a course. This beginner’s guide to digital marketing will also help you understand the path you need to take. Start by researching digital marketing platforms and techniques like SEO, keywords, backlinking, etc.
- What are the 5Ds of digital marketing?
There are five Ds of digital marketing, which forms a crucial part of the beginner’s guide. These help a digital marketing professional devise a strategy for executing an effective marketing campaign. The five Ds of digital marketing are;
- Digital devices
- Digital platforms
- Digital media
- Digital data
- Digital technology